2x2 rib design question

Why does the designer start a 2x2 rib for a bottom up sweater knit in the round with a P1 and end with a P1? I accidentally did the whole first round starting with k2,p2 and ended with P2 - will that make a signficant difference? And for the rest of the 2 1/2 inches of cuff, do I keep the P1 start and end?

wah.

Claudia

That’s an interesting question. What is the name of your pattern?
The only reason I can think of has to do with the pattern in the body of the sweater. Sometimes the rib flows into a sweater pattern. Good one to ask the designer.

salmonmac,
I figured it out; the P1 is part of a sort of “fake seam” that goes up the sides of the sweater. Because I had knit only one painful round, I decided the leave the first row alone and correct my knitting on the second row. This is that same Whalsey Gansey I emailed about a couple of weeks ago.

Thank you and happy Sunday!
Claudia

1 Like

Ah, good.

1 Like

salmonmac,
On reconsidering, I decided to rip out the original and start again. I just finished the first round, correctly this time. One of my major foibles is that I get so stressed casting on large numbers of stitches when knitting in the round for fear of joining them twisted. I also find it really challenging to estimate the amount of yarn I need to do a long tail cast on and often have to pull it off and start over. I have considered using the alternate cable cast on, but that has it’s own challenges. That’s me being a big baby. Once I get going, I am in love with knitting all over again.

2 Likes

I’m a big fan of the long tail cast on using two balls of yarn. Yes you’re left with 3 yarn ends to weave in but I don’t mind that.

1 Like

That’s really frustrating! I just knit a hat and didn’t realize until the crown that there was a K1 AFTER the K1 P2. I don’t know why the designer wrote it that way. I like the K1 P2 better and knit the 2nd one in K2 P1. The first one I turned inside out. I have switched to Chinese Waitress cast on instead of long tail. Have you tried it or a crochet cast on? Love it!

Jo, this is genius, thank you!

1 Like

Glad I could help :blush: It’s saved me from ripping out my knitting and my hair on many occasions lol