2 questions :)

Yay this forum is amazing! I’m so glad I found it :stuck_out_tongue:

first I’m having a little trouble understanding this lacey scarf pattern…

It tells me to “k into the 2nd st on LH needle, k into 1st st on LH needle, sl both sts to RH needle.”

Does that mean just to slide two stitchs knit-wise, or does it mean something else?

second question…I recently started doing the long-tail cast ons for my projects (I never could understand how to do it until I saw the video on this site:teehee: ) but when I make my first loop on the RH needle I always end up with two loops…is that supposed to happen? I’ve just been knitting them together as one but I’m not sure if that’s right.

You would have a slip knot to start the cast on, then when you cast on another stitch, there’s 2. They’re counted as separate stitches.

The instructions sound like a twist stitch, kind of a mini cable. Knit into the 2nd st, leave it there and knit into the 1st st. Then let them slip off the needle as usual and you have 2 sts on the right needle. At least I think that’s what it means - what’s the next step?

Thanks!
Here’s the context of those instructions -
Row 2: K1, p1, (k into the 2nd st on LH needle, k into 1st st on LH needle, sl both sts to RH needle) rep to last 2 sts, p1, k1.
Row 3: K1, p1, k1, (k into the 2nd st on LH needle, k into 1st st on LH needle, sl both sts to RH needle) rep to last 3 sts, k1, p1, k1.

Is that good?

I’m not really sure. The instruction to slip both sts to the R needle is confusing. Don’t know if they mean the new sts, which since they’re already on the R needle they don’t need to say so, or the old sts that you just knitted. Can you tell from the picture?

Yeah…
I did a few rows the way you explained, and it didn’t feel like I was doing anything wrong and it didn’t look messed up, so I’m assuming it’ll turn out fine :slight_smile:

If it looks good, then you’re okay. :thumbsup:

{second question…I recently started doing the long-tail cast ons for my projects (I never could understand how to do it until I saw the video on this site:teehee: ) but when I make my first loop on the RH needle I always end up with two loops…is that supposed to happen? I’ve just been knitting them together as one but I’m not sure if that’s right.}

When I do the long tail cast on, I do not do a slip knot, I just pull down the yarn, hold it under my pointer finger on the right needle and start casting on. When I do the magic to get the loop on the right needle, there is always 2 on the needle, and one loop thereafter. I understand that the “first” loop, where you get 2 loops, is actually your first AND second cast on stitch.

So, let me get this straight. You start with the yarn held with your forefinger. Then, after you cast on once, you end up with three loops total. One under your forefinger and two just cast on at once? (You did say that you realize that the initial loop created by holding the yarn under your forefinger counts as your first cast-on stitch, right?)

OK, I worked hard to replicate that. The only way I was able to was by picking up both pieces of yarn off the thumb in the initial motion. That resulted in a bit of an X on the back of the needle for a total of three. Maybe that’s what’s happening? If so, make sure you’re only picking up only ONE yarn off the thumb for long-tail cast-on. (You pick up both for the twisted German cast-on, but that’s a very different method.)

Yes, when you cast on the long-tail, the first two loops are formed with the first pass.