Well, my sweater isn't coming out exactly as I had planned. One of the chances you take when not using a pattern I suppose.
I already knew that I had used the wrong bind off for the bottom of the sweater. It isn't nearly as stretchy as it should be. None at all in fact. That's ok, it's a mistake and I learned from it (should have used the sewn bind off) but I can live with it.
It's a learning experience, after all.
Today, while sitting in the waiting room of the engine shop that was looking over my truck (broke down today), I thought the sleeve was looking like it might be getting close to the proper length so I tried on the sweater.
I was right about the length, it's getting close but not quite there. What I did notice most though is that my decrease rate on the sleeve simply wasn't enough.
I was doing a decrease on either side of the stitch marker every six rounds. I can see now that it should have been every five, or possibly even every four.
I'm re-thinking the bottom of the sleeve and have started decreasing at a sharp rate in order to bring it down, but will have to cuff it differently so as to look right.
I had planned on just ribbing the cuff, but may have to do something else, but am not sure what yet.
Ah well, I am learning. I think I can still make it come out looking ok if somewhat different. That's ok, I like different.
I can use what I have learned to make the next sweater even better.