I know this is an old post, but I'm bumping it just in case anyone else was following it. (I discovered that there are actually a few sites dedicated to this very issue, always makes me feel better when I'm not the only one. lol)
it turned out that none of these fixes really made a terribly noticeable difference in my SSK appearance because of the nature of the lace pattern. There were no straight knit rows between the decreases and on top of that, after the first lace row in each repeat, the next row's decrease involves the decreased stitch from the row before, so I think it sort of canceled out the normal fixes involving stitch manipulation.
However, here's the good news: I read just yesterday that EZ stated somewhere (not sure which source) that wonky decreases and the like will be unnoticeable after some wear and laundering and I can affirm this is true at least in the case of these socks (and I can't tell you how thrilled I am about that.) It still doesn't look quite as perfect as the knit samples of the socks, but it looks good enough that I don't scowl at them when I look at them and have begun a second pair in the same pattern. The SYTK may have very well played a role in this, but I'm not sure because I tried multiple different left-leaning methods throughout the socks (but SYTK is the one I stuck with in the end.)
Thanks again all!