I originally posted this as a blog thread, but was told that no one ever goes there anymore, so here I am!
On January 14th, I officially started my biggest knitting project ever. Actually, I started it a bit before that, but got about 15 rows in and kept noticing things that bugged me, and ended up frogging it and starting over. It was a good thing I did, because it turned out my math was all wrong.
I originally saw the pattern here, then found someone else's version of it, with larger trees in the center here.
I followed her links and got the charts for the small trees (from the original baby blanket) and the large trees (from a sweater), and the tulip border (also from the baby blanket), but couldn't seem to find the vines anywhere. Off to my stitch book.
I decided to replace the vines with a celtic braid, and my husband said I should find something more subtle and horizontal to go above and below the large trees in the center of the blanket, so I chose to do the celtic braids on either side of the large trees, and a wave pattern above and below.
Finally, I got in Excel and made my own chart. Like I said, my math was wrong because I didn't account for the "no stitch" squares in the charts. I'd never used a chart before (in knitting, anyway). It was a rookie mistake.
I got finished with the main part of the blanket and realized that it is very long, and not very wide. I decided to add an inner border before doing the tulip border. Back to the magic stitch book. I found a fantastic openwork clusters pattern that looks a bit like leaves. After putting it on and starting the tulip border, it looks like they belong together.
So, January 14th was the day I started over, and I finally finished today. I've posted pics of each portion on my Facebook profile. I've attached a few.