Thanks in advance for reading this post.
I'm an on-again, off-again knitter. Well, it's on again! Was really enjoying working on Berroco "Donna" sweater, (link to instructions below). I completed the entire back, no problem, front, no problem up until the decreases for the neckband. That's when the confusion began. According to the instructions, I should have 64 stitches at the point where I'm at now, but I've got 82!
Can someone possibly tell me where I went off? Here are the instructions, with my comments below. I'm making the largest size, so the number of stitches on the far right within the parentheses are what applies to my project.
1) Shape Neck: Work 40(42-46-51) sts, join another ball of yarn and bind off center 16(18-18-18) sts, decreasing 4 sts across top of center cable, work to end.
[COLOR="Blue"]- starting w/120 stitches, binding off 18, I now have 102 (which agrees w/pattern, which has me working 51 before I start binding off. Assuming 51 on each side = 102[/COLOR]
2) Working both sides at once, bind off 4 sts at each neck edge twice
[COLOR="blue"]- starting w/102 stitches, 4 stitches at each neck edge = 8, twice = 16, so I now have 102 -16 = 86 stitches[/COLOR]
3) then dec 1 st each neck edge every RS row twice – 32 sts each side.
[COLOR="blue"]- starting w/86 stitches, 1 dec times 2 neck edges two times = 4 stitch decrease, leaving 82 stitches, which is 41 stitches per side, not 32!!!! :wall: [/COLOR]
4) AT THE SAME TIME, when armholes measure 8(8-1/2-9-9-1/2)", end on WS. Decreasing 4 sts across each full cable, shape shoulders same as for back.
As I said, I'm so confused. I'd hate to rip this whole thing out, because, (for a change) I actually like it!
Have a great day, all.