I picked the stitches up with the right side facing, then I used a knitted cast on to add the other stitches. I had trouble with my joins. Here is what I wrote in my project notes about this at Ravelry:
I don’t know that I ever did figure out the “right” way to connect the motifs. I always had trouble with the first row joins. I was working them inside out (for me) and would, after I had about 7 rounds done, either have to pull the whole works through the middle of my dpns or fold everything so that the right sides were up and then maneuver all my needles around so that they were now on top too. Crazy. The second row joins were okay.
Although it seemed like I was working the hexagons 'inside out' they were really attached the proper way but I had to mess with things to straighen out the work on each one as described above.
You could make them separate and sew them together, but then you might have a bit of a seam. It wasn't bad doing it the way I did. I wish the pattern had described how they did it. Maybe it was as whacko as my way and they didn't want to tell you about it. LOL