thanks, yes, I did the ears just by myself:
I looped stitches into the decrease lines, right where they start up top. Nine stitches down from the top, nine back up on the back side of the increase row. then I knit 2 rounds over it. then started the decrease: ssk and k2tog at the edges, so twice per round. the last 3 stitches I knit together.
If you made the ears bigger than 9 stiches per side (you very well could) then I might suggest to try stuffing them slightly. But like this they do not stick out sooo much to be embaraced from afar but enough to be seen.
the stitching I made up as well, as I wrote. it looks unique and will last through the abuse of a 3-year-old, (I guess)
have fund with this. As I wrote: it is super quick and modifications can be done on all odds and ends.