Some of you may already know about the Red Scarf Project, where NICE handknit scarves are given to orphans in college.
These orphans have aged out of foster care, so they are really on their own.
Handknit scarves are included in care packages put together by the Orphan Foundation of America, and given to the orphans in February.
Last year, they had an overload of scarves, so I think that most of us that participated before just held back this year. And THAT is the problem. This year, they don't have ENOUGH!
The deadline for scarves is December 15th, but they are willing to accept them by the end of the month this time.
So, if you have ANY available time to knit a NICE, quick scarf, please help out with this project.
Here's the website about the project
And Norma's blog
And here are the guidelines for the scarves:
[COLOR=red]Please remember QUALITY. This is not for beginner knitters or crocheters. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]The goal is for gift-worthy, tasteful unisex collegiate scarves for middle class American college students -- something they would feel proud to wear, just as if they were your own college-age son, daughter, or grandchild -- using the following guidelines:[/COLOR]
- [COLOR=red]Soft yarns, a drapey gauge, evenly knit or crocheted (but not anything that could be interpreted "lacy") [/COLOR]
- [COLOR=red]Does not have to be machine washable (but please include washing instructions) [/COLOR]
- [COLOR=red]DK or light worsted weight is the preferred weight (can be fingering weight doubled) [/COLOR]
- [COLOR=red]NO BULKY or SUPER-BULKY (it does not fit in the care package boxes) [/COLOR]
- [COLOR=red]5-8 inches wide [/COLOR]
- [COLOR=red]60-70 inches long [/COLOR]
- [COLOR=red]RED! is the MUCH PREFERRED COLOR. Other tasteful UNISEX colors are acceptable, but RED is PREFERRED. Absolutely NO PINK or LAVENDER, and no colors that the general public might not like. Yellows, oranges, and certain shades of green are examples of what I'm talking about. Some people (me included) love those colors -- others really get turned off by them. [/COLOR]
- [COLOR=red]NO LACE. NO FRILLS. NO ROTINI SCARVES. NO FUN FUR. [/COLOR]
- [COLOR=red]UNISEX, please. [/COLOR]
- [COLOR=red]No felted scarves. [/COLOR][*][B][COLOR=red]No used scarves. [/COLOR][/B]