Well, I finally picked the sock back up and got through the heel, picking up the stitches on the side, etc. Now I've got a real mess. I did the "moving stitches" to avoid ladders, but when I redivided them to the specs given for each of the 3 needles, the major part of the instep (I think, it's the part above the semi "V" that comes between working the heel and the rest of the foot) is lopsided. I have more stitches that look like stockinette on one side than the other. ARGH!!! I'm finishing it anyway and giving it to my niece for Christmas, as even though it's a sock yarn, it looks like it would be awfully thick under shoes so I'm just going to say they're "keep your feet warm in the winter" socks to wear around the house - not exactly slippers, hopefully enough to keep her toes toasty when she doesn't want to wear shoes. And, if she doesn't want to wear them at all, she can always hang it up for Santa, lol!!!