Ok.... here's my two cents... well maybe its only worth one cent..... but I digress. :rollseyes:
I didnt vote on this option because there are a couple more options I see that could be on there.
1) Keep the current method. (One thread for all FOs.)
* * The obvious disadvantages to this is if you miss a few days, you usually have to read through several pages and basically have to take notes to keep track of everyone's stuff so that you can comment. Reading the whole thread would be dang near impossible without dedicating several hours to it.
* * The advantages to this however are: You will not get huge numbers of email notifications. You will not be searching through large numbers of individual threads posted since last logging on. It's easy to make this a sticky... something that would be impractical with individual threads.
2) Post daily joint FO threads. (i.e. Thread name = 11/17/05 FOs).
* * I see advantages to this method being as follows. The FOs are in one location. It will be easy to identify which threads are new when searching through posted since last visit. Email notifications will be kept to a minimum because older threads will continually drop off.
* * Disadvantages include: It would be impractical to make them into stickys, for easy finding, though a separate subforum could be created to house them, like the blog forum houses blogs. It could potentially be confusing to people wishing to post their FOs, if they are not familiar with the system.
You would get more email notifications than the current system depending on posting. If large numbers of FOs come in during a single day, it still could potentially mean taking notes to keep track of FOs posted to comment on them.
The issue I have with making an individual threads for each FO is that will generate HUGE numbers of emails. I see the validity in changing the current system but I also believe we need to realize that a lot of people that post on the FO thread ALSO post about their FOs in their blogs, effectively doing the same thing as making an individual FO thread. I see no point in triplicating it.
My suggestion would be to find a middle ground. Either group the FOs by type, by date, by yarn, by color, whatever. Keep in mind we already have several KALs here that effectively do the same thing as grouping by type. Admittedly they are more specific and they cover both FOs and UFOs. (insert alien music here).
Just some thoughts... I'll shut up now.