Been quite some time since I've posted anything here.
I wanted to make a cardi similar to something I'd seen on coldwatercreek.com. Got some technique insights from a FakeKlaralund sweater tut, did a sketch, swatched/calc'd some numbers and grabbed several of my recycled thrift sweater cottons. I wanted it unstructured and versatile enough to be paired with capris, slacks or long skirts and have a sleeve that provided coverage but wasn't too long given I'm in warm SoCal.
I'm a 'winter' so have lots of tops and bottoms (that I've made) whose colors (reds, navys, blacks, etc) are reflected in the yarns I used. I named the piece 'gawdy' because I've always worn simple solids, thus all those stripes feel like too much. Other than the 'V' of the neckline being a bit lower than I'd hoped (the weight of the cottons pull more than I allowed for so it has a slight empire silhouette) I was pleasantly surprised at how well it fits.
Took eight days to knit, one day to weave in the gazillion ends. The most arduous part was determining how many 'threads' of each yarn to combine for a fairly even worsted weight, throughout, for each stripe and the various transitions. (Those who recycle know about unplied cottons.)
It's rather fun and artsy. I'm still debating adding afterthought pockets (can't live w/o pockets!).
A few more related pics on Rav and flickr