Janet: do you mean that you're trying to adjust the pattern to make a much smaller size? Like my yellow one?
Anyway, I'm assuming that's your question. I looked at my Ravelry project notes for this particular baby hoodie. I'm doing a copy/paste directly from those notes. I hope they help you, but I tell ya, I was really feeling my way along blind, too. So anyway, here below are all my notes for you:
[COLOR="Blue"]This baby jacket is for an 8 week old girl. She was 6 lbs at birth, she’s now a whopping 10 lbs. She’s a beautiful Hispanic baby, with 10 lbs of black hair! What a beauty!
I want this jacket to fit her now. The jacket pattern’s smallest size is 6 mo. Whatever that* RT* means, right? But for sure, it would probably be too big for her when she’s 6 mo old, too.
So I modified the pattern to a newborn size. I won’t bore you with all the horrid details except to say…instead of casting on 102 st for size 6 mo, I cast on 78 st. At 5.5” I divided the work to begin the yoke.
I cast on 78 st for the sleeves (cuff). I worked the fisherman rib patter stitch for 4” before I began the armhole shaping.
The jacket sleeves (as measured now) from cuff to beginning of yoke are 5.5”. The body (measured across the front) is 12.5”. The jacket length (from hem to neck) is 11”.
For the hood, I cast on 48 st. Worked pattern as per instructions until the piece was 6.5”. I did not bind off. I divided the 48 stitches onto 2 dpns and worked a 3-needle bind-off, which essentially seams the back of the hood.
My buttonholes are just K2tog, YO. I placed them so that the YO (which is actually the hole) is balanced and lined up with that little ‘trough’ of knits. My buttons are rather biggish acrylic ‘barrels’. They slip through the buttonhole by starting with the end of the barrel. My daughter told me always use bigger than normal buttons, mother, so that the darn sweater will stay buttoned up! This isn’t a gift for her baby, they’re 10 & 13 yrs old now, but I remembered what she said. Mothers want their baby’s sweaters to stay buttoned!
Now all this being said…and to throw a monkey wrench into the entire projects, and which will probably make my modifications totally useless to you: I used bulky weight yarn instead of worsted…because that’s all I had that was a nice yarn for this jacket. In other words, I wanted to use it, and wanted to make it work.
I misjudged the length of the yoke. I followed the pattern, but I shouldn’t have knit all the rows stated for the yoke because this made the yoke proportionately too tallish. Meh, what can ya do?
At the moment, I’ve got the jacket pinned down onto my blocking board. The yoke area is pinned I should say. I pinned it out wider so that it will look right. Not narrow and tall, but shorter and wide. I spritzed it with water, and am hoping that it will stay put. The fiber content for this yarn is mostly cotton, so I’m not holding my breath. Either way, I’m gifting this jacket to the mother at our Bible Study services on Tuesday evening. I’m certain she’ll like it just fine.
I should say something about the color of the yarn: it’s a tonal. That is, it very subtly changes in intensity, from very light yellow to deeper lemon yellow, as seen in the photos very clearly I think.
The yarn is sorta like a tape yarn. I used the Russian Join to connect new balls of yarn. It worked out quite nicely, and is invisible in the fisherman rib.
BTW: when you’re trying to count how many rows you’ve knit from hem to yoke, it’s hard. Fisherman rib stacks up to look like one row when you’ve actually knit two rows. So, when 20 “knits” are visible, you’ve knit 40 rows.[/COLOR]
And here's my Ravelry link to the project: