I have completed my first pair of mittens. Before trying to do a pair I did knit a single one as a test to make sure I knew what I was doing before I tried to do a nice pair.
I also went a little off pattern to end it. The pattern told me to decrease to 20 sts and then close the top with kitchener stitch. I did that on my test mitten and it looked to square for my taste so I ended up decreasing to the last 24 sts then put my tapestry needle through those sts and pulled tight through then sort of sewed it nice and tight from the inside with the yarn. I like the way it looks better. I did the same with the thumb.
Finally I still had holes between the mitten and the thumb even after picking up stitches (the pattern didn't tell me to do that) so I turned the mitt inside out when completed and sort of sewed it shut with my yarn.
This is also my first experience with m1l and m1r not as hard as I thought it would be.
Here is the result