To make it with a hood, I did not do any of the front neck shaping. I made the back, then made the two fronts without shaping. I did a 3-needle bind off on 44 stitches to connect the back to the two fronts, and put the remaining stitches from the back and two fronts on holders. After that I made the sleeves.
When I went back to do the hood, I put all the stitches from my holders on a circ and continued in the pattern as established, having made a note of which row I was on when I got to that point. There are no more diamonds by that point (for me, I didn't get row gauge) so the hood is done in reverse stockinette and those 6-stitch cables. I knit it straight up to the correct length and then did a 3-needle bind-off for the center top of the head.
Because she wanted a zipper rather than buttons, all around the front opening and all around the hood in one continuous row, I did several rows of garter stitch edging and put in a 22-inch zipper. The zipper scared me a little. You can see the bottom of the zipper area is sort of funky, but other than that it works well.