I put them inside the beret...with the rim of the biggest dinnner plate at the circular 'seam' of the beret. You know, where the increasing ends and the decreasing begins...and there are two garter rows for definition.
To get ready, here are the steps:
I put one big dinner plate upside down the table. Then I put 2 med size plates upside down on top of the dinner plate. Then I put 2 salad plates upside down on top of the med size plates.
So you have a stack of five plates, each gradually smaller...this formed a soft 'dome'.
Then I stretched the hat over top of this upside down stack of plates.
Of course, once the plates were inside, they stretched out the top portion of the hat nicely...with the littlest plates forming a slight dome...and the ribbing went back into shape. Then I placed the hat and plates on top of a tall vase...the largest dinner plate sat on top of the mouth of the vase...and misted the tar out of it. The hat was saturated pretty good, and I left the whole mess til bone dry.
It blocked the top portion of the hat...not the ribbing. Now the top portion of the hat isn't crumpled looking. The blocking worked perfect!