I am making this very cool lace baby blanket [img=http://arabianknitsfree.blogspot.com/2006/08/tilting-blocks-baby-blanket.html] for my condo manager's wife. It is a really fun pattern, but at first I would goof up on almost every row ... realize it at the end and have to unknit back to my goof.
Yesterday, I was on the second repeat of the pattern and finally feeling like I'd gotten the hang of it when I suddenly had only 120 sts, not the 121 I should have had. The mistake went back many many rows, like maybe 6. I vaguely remember being a st short at some point and but then getting distracted, forgetting to figure it out and continuing. It LOOKED fine, but was not going to be fine.
So I frogged oh so many rows, and found my way back to 121 sts. But then I couldn't figure out what row I was on. I was counting 23, but that would mean I was on one part of the pattern when I could clearly tell by my sts that I was on another. So I undid another few rows but same problem.
So I ended up frogging the whole thing. As I was casting on again, I realized that I had forgotten to consider the 8 rows of garter that were before the pattern rows. ARGH!!! I gave up on like 20 rows that were TOTALLY FINE. Plus all that time and frustration trying to figure out "my mistake". Argh.
The only silver lining I can see - and this is a huge stretch - is that I am able to frog back rows of lace, something I couldn't do a year ago when I was knitting lacy things. Granted, this is a pretty easy lace to frog, but still, I think there is some indication of progress here. Despite my dopeyness.