I also found something about the smell/allergy issue for those who brought up that question before. Not sure what you could do about it if you processed at home yourself.
From the VIP website:
"ODOR & ALLERGIES
are caused by the oils, dander and enzymes in a pet's skin, not the actual hair itself. Washing the fiber, yarn or finished product may remove some of the culprits, but not all. VIP Fibers is the only spinnery that has developed a patented process for permanently removing all of these factors from your keepsake yarn. Though each natural fiber has it's own scent, your keepsake yarn will not "smell like wet dog" and your keepsake will not affect people with allergies."