I had the same experience as Zantifox with the cobweb fringe. When attached as directed, it created a pucker at the point of the triangle, which was totally unacceptable.
So...I made 2 fringe extensions of 61 stitches each and grafted these to the main fringe via crochet hook on either side. I am now ready to attach said fringe to the main shawl. BTW, I did end up binding off the fringe and plan to attach with a crochet hook. This makes the fringe fit perfectly. For future reference, I would cast on 499 stitches for the cobweb fringe. This should give enough length to attach the fringe to the shawl as directed. Whew. :cheering: